Harrow Tar & Chip Surface Dressing
Local Tar & Chipping Specialists in Harrow HA1, HA2, HA3
Surface dressing is a method of improving the existing surface of a road, by applying a new layer on top of the existing Tarmac/asphalt. This is more cost effective than replacing the whole surface.
City Surfacing Ltd is a specialist road surface dressing contractor covering Harrow and the surrounding areas. We carry out large and small commercial tar & chip surfacing projects for a wide range of clients, including local authorities and councils.
What is Surface Dressing?
Surface dressing is often referred to as ‘Tar & Chip’ or 'Tar & Chipping'. The process involves a few simple steps:
- A bituminous binder emulsion is applied from a purpose-built spray tanker onto the existing road surface. This is the 'tar' stage.
- Once the binder is fully applied, it is immediately followed by the even application of aggregate chippings.
- The resulting mixture is either left to be compacted by regular road traffic, or in some cases is rolled to press the chippings in.
When to apply Surface Dressing in Harrow
It is best to perform surface dressing before the road surface deteriorates to the stage at which expensive major patching and/or reconstruction is required. There is also a gauge known as ‘surface skidding levels’ that needs to stay above the nationally accepted intervention level for the class of road in question. Please speak to a member of our team if you wish to get the road tested for this.
Proper attention to design and execution has provided surface dressing lifetimes well more than 10 years, even on very heavily trafficked sites.
What are the advantages of Tar & Chip
- Seals the road surface against water ingress - one of the major causes of asphalt pavement deterioration.
- Helps arrest the deterioration of the road surface and underlying road pavement structure.
- Restores the necessary level of skid resistance to the road, helping reduce skid related traffic accidents.
- Can help reduce dangerous spray, thrown up by vehicles travelling on wet road surfaces.
- Much more cost effective than digging out the road and applying a whole new Tarmac / Asphalt surface.
- Can be applied quickly and effectively, reducing the amount of time roads need to be closed.
Why choose us as your surface dressing contractors in Harrow?
All our work is carried out by a dedicated team of specialists with years of experience in road resurfacing, repairs and other paving projects across Harrow.
We use only the best materials from the biggest names in the industry, with all our work conforming to British Standards. This is why we are amongst the leading surface dressing companies in Harrow, with a full guarantee on every project.
Local Road Improvement Experts
With full public liability insurance, competitive prices and excellent attention to detail, we are your best choice for local tar & chip surfacing work. We have experience working with both private and commercial clients, many of whom have complemented our expertise and professionalism.
Our primary focus is quality, reliability and complete customer satisfaction. We give you the peace of mind that your surfacing or paving project will be completed on time and within budget
Surface Dressing FAQs
Read some of the frequently asked questions about our tar & chipping surfacing services:
Get a Quick Tar & Chip Quote Fill out our form below
"*" indicates required fields
Not in Harrow? Still looking for "Surface dressing companies near me...?"
- Surface Dressing Banbury
- Surface Dressing Bristol South
- Surface Dressing Cranford
- Surface Dressing Rugby
- Surface Dressing Sheffield
- Surface Dressing Retford